Microsoft release Exchange 2013 Preview last week. Here are some notes from my first installation.
- The current version of Exchange 2013 do not support upgrade from Previous versions. This feature will be added later.
- A new AD forest was created with Windows Server 2012 core. (Instructions)
- The Exchange environment was build with Windows 2012 Server Core to test all the funtionality with in the environment.
- After Installation of all Pre-Requisites the Installation of Windows Server Core was upgraded with the full GUI.
- Remove the Windows Server 2012 GUI to save resources in the Exchange 2013 environment.
- Server will install with 1 vCPU upgrade to 4 vCPU after the installation finished
- Even do there is no guidance on RAM 6GB looks to be the minimum amount to have a working environment.
- Exchange 2013 do not have a mangement console anymore.
- Administration website is https://server.domain.com/ecp
Installation Pre-Requisites on Mailbox and Client Access Role
- Login to your Server
- Open a PowerShell Window
- Install required roles by typing: Install-WindowsFeature AS-HTTP-Activation, Desktop-Experience, NET-Framework-45-Features, RPC-over-HTTP-proxy, RSAT-Clustering, Web-Mgmt-Console, WAS-Process-Model, Web-Asp-Net45, Web-Basic-Auth, Web-Client-Auth, Web-Digest-Auth, Web-Dir-Browsing, Web-Dyn-Compression, Web-Http-Errors, Web-Http-Logging, Web-Http-Redirect, Web-Http-Tracing, Web-ISAPI-Ext, Web-ISAPI-Filter, Web-Lgcy-Mgmt-Console, Web-Metabase, Web-Mgmt-Console, Web-Mgmt-Service, Web-Net-Ext45, Web-Request-Monitor, Web-Server, Web-Stat-Compression, Web-Static-Content, Web-Windows-Auth, Web-WMI, Windows-Identity-Foundation
- Install the additional software for Exchange 2013.
- After the installation finishes remove
- Open Control Panel > Programs and Features.
- Select Visual C++ 11 Beta Redistributable (x64) – 11.0.50531 and then click Uninstall.
- In Microsoft Visual C++ 11 Beta setup, click Uninstall.
- When Microsoft Visual C++ 11 Beta is uninstalled, click Close.
Installation of Exchange 2013
- The account used to install Exchange 2013 must be part of the Enterprise Admins and Schema Admins roles in Active Directory
- Installation Screens