In this post we will install the Windows 2012 R2 Operating System on our BaseImage Virtual Machine. This will help us to create multiple virtual machines later from a single image.
1. In the Hyper-V Manager, select the VM created in the previous step. Ex: BaseImage and click settings.
2. In the settings screen Select SCSI Controller > DVD > Add
3. Click Image File and point to the location where your Windows 2012 R2 ISO file is located. If you do not have the file you can download it from the Microsoft website.
4. Click the Firmware, then select your DVD ISO and move it up until it is the first one on the list. Then press OK.
5. Press the Start Button and then connect
6. You should see a screen similar to this one where it ask you to press any key to boot from the CD or DVD. Click on the black screen and then press any key.
7. After your installation finishes you should see the Server Manager screen. Close Server Manager.
8. Eject your ISO file by Right click the D: select Eject
9. Browse to C:WindowsSystem32Sysprep folder and double click the sysprep application
10. In the System Preparation Tool Screen select OOBE, Generalize and Shutdown, then press OK.
11. Wait until Sysprep finishes and your BaseImage virtual machine is off.
Now You are ready to clone your virtual machine.